Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cardiologist

I saw Dr. Aryana this morning, a Harvard trained cardiologist specializing in electronic monitoring. After a thorough discussion I have elected to undergo an EP (electro physiological study) where they will insert 2 electrical wires into my femoral artery near the groin and run them up to my heart. He does not foresee any need for a pacemaker or a device to stimulate the heart unless they discover something very unusual. He believes a monitor will be called for and will be inserted under my skin just up and to the left of the heart. The device will monitor my heart for a long time, up to 3 years is the battery life, but he thinks a year will be more than sufficient. My bike crash was reported to the DMV and they want a Dr.'s sign off before the DMV will authorize my driving. The circumstances of my crash are just puzzling enough to warrant a study of my heart activity. Did I experience a heart episode or something else? is the question to be answered.  Dr. Aryana admits my health, age and activity level presents an anomaly regarding the episode. He diagnosed the event as a possible basel basel - something - which usually happens to people when they are at rest not when being active, i.e. riding a bike, and usually are much younger.
The EP procedure has been scheduled for Sept. 22.  It may be the next time you see me I will have a lump on my upper left breast about the size of a flash or thumb drive.

No comments: