Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Biopsy comments, Geno's farewell breakfast & my new computer set up.

Yesterday I had a thyroid biopsy.  Due to the doctor having a cat medical emergency he was delayed while speaking with the vet.  He came out to the waiting room and apologized to the 6-8 people sitting and waiting,  I was running about 30 minutes behind my scheduled appointment.  Right after he explained and apologized he saw me.  Did a nice job of explaining how nodes 10 mm and under I simply monitored as most of the population has small nodes like that and they amount to nothing.  11mm and over are biopsied.  Mine appeared to be the small variety but he needed to ultra-sound it to be sure and take pictures.  After the ultra-sound he determined it was a bit larger than first indicated.  He took 4 samples with a needle.  He optimistically stated the honey color might indicate it was collodial, my word, as I found in an online dictionary the following definition: colloid, (Medicine) a substance of gelatinous consistency.   Further tests will reveal actual significance.  I see the ENT for his debriefing of the findings October 14.


My friend Geno is leaving for Katmandu Thursday, October 7 for a 10 day trek.  We gathered to wish him well over breakfast this morning.  My friend and Geno's long-time friend, Jim, picked me up.  I woke up 10 minutes before Jim got to the house so when he arrived I was making my first cup of coffee for the day.  A bunch of folks rode their bikes to Geno's then rode to the restaurant.  I found my self explaining the health issues and showing off the wound where the monitor or loop was placed.  Then when I got home I involved myself in a chat with David who was the intended ride pardner the day the accident happened.  


I am hoping people are keeping up with this blog or more specifically do I have an audience?


Within the last week I have been changing my computer set up.  My friend Bill Farmer planted a seed when last I was at his house.  He has had a Mac Mini for quite a while, using it for various purposes and lately he decided to use it (I may not have the facts correct) as a television receptor.  The seed has sprouted into my purchasing a Mac Mini, a magic mouse and a wireless keyboard and putting in an order for Apple TV all to be hooked up to our LCD flat screen Vizio TV.  Soon, once the Apple TV arrives, I will dump Comcast as the TV source and rely on Netflix, iTunes, and the Internet in general, as our primary source of television.  I will keep the Comcast broadband hook up.  The shows I like to watch are available from one of those sources mentioned previously plus I am thinking I will get a desktop antenna for the local broadcast stations.




2 comments:

guzzi guy said...

Keep us posted on how the project to replace Comcast goes. I am intrigued, but it comes at a strange time when almost all of the shows that I want to watch are coming through in HD and I don't want to give that up.

Farmer bill said...

Hope Geno has a great trip. It must be close to winter weather in October over there.

And you got the tv/mini thing pretty close. I'm using the mini as an internet connection for the 36" flat screen and taking advantage of iTunes for podcasts and some paid TV shows, Hulu for the Mac and Plex for the Mac. These last two are both what I call 'collectors' in that they collect media from many sources and present it all through one interface. Sometimes the interface is less than evil, sometimes it is hard to use.