Monday, March 14, 2011

The Roubaix, a story evolves.

In my prior post I told my story regarding the old Fuji and the new Fuji.  Other than the new Fuji is a racing frame and I do not anticipate racing there is really nothing about the new Fuji I do not like.

The "new" Fuji's inaugural ride was February 6, 2011.  I found the steering to be "twitchy" at first but not overly disconcerting.  I have ridden less than 300 miles on the Fuji with the Ultegra groupo.  I found the bike ride to be smooth.  The wheels, Mavic Open Pro with 32 spokes per wheel, rolled very easily.  The compact drive train, a 34/50 combination, shifted very nicely.  I missed the granny gear bail out a triple provides on some steep climbs but I was able to get up the hill anyway.  My low gear now is a 34 X 28 as the Ultegra long cage rear derailler handles nothing bigger than a 28.  But a new vision was forming in the back of my brain.

Scott had been johnny-on-the-spot at the Las Vegas bike show when he learned a nearby competitor had lost the Specialized dealership.  Since completion of the necessary paperwork we have been incorporating various Specialized bikes into the shop.  Scott picked up a 2010 56 centimeter Specialized Roubaix at a good close-out price.  I stood over it and found it to be an appropriate bike fit.  It came with a complete Shimano 105 groupo.  I knew I would have to sell one of my current crop of bicycles to be able to afford the Roubaix.  I began to imagine the Fuji as a 105 bike and what its worth might be.  Initially I had stars in my eyes imagining what I might get for the Fuji.  The plan as I saw it was to take all the Ultegra stuff off the Fuji and replace it with 105.  The Roubaix would receive the Ultegra componentry.

What has happened after clearing it with Scott was the Roubaix received all the Ultegra componentry but my Cannondale Synapse frame has received the 105 and the various "old school" componentry originally on the Cannondale is going on the Fuji.  I will keep the steel Fuji.

The Cannondale Synapse is a replacement frame like the Fuji Connoiseur.  Noted in the previous blog entry was a mention of my acquiring a Cannondale 3.0 bicycle.  This bicycle dates from the days prior to replacement derailler hangers.  I believe Cannondale came out with replaceable rear derailler hangers the next year after I purchased my 3.0.  In any event my derailler hanger cracked after approximately 15 years of service.  I called around to various dealers inquiring if Cannondale would warranty the frame.  Mike's Bikes in downtown Sacramento said to bring it in and they would have the rep check it out.  Obviously Cannondale warrantied the frame and provided me with the Synapse frame and carbon fiber fork.  I moved the Shimano 600 brakes and crank over to the new frame; added a new inexpensive 9 speed Shimano hub wheel coupled with Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters and voila a new bike to ride.  It has served me well.  

A month, approximately, after the Fuji's first ride, I completed the transfer of the Ultegra groupo to the Roubaix and rode out to meet Geno, Herb, Jim, Mike and Eric in the El Dorado hills.  I achieved the buzz for having a carbon fiber bike.  Eric was the first to get a new carbon fiber bike the previous spring which he bought at Patriot.  He requested some component changes which fed my thinking about changing the componentry to Ultegra from 105.

I was peppered with questions about how fast it accelerated and went up hills.  To the first I just shrugged as I have almost always been the first to accelerate from a dead stop at a traffic light and look back to see everyone else 50 yards behind me, to my surprise.   The same when I might accelerate with minimal effort to the front to relieve someone only to look back and see I have dropped everyone.  The Roubaix did not change any of the preceding.  As for going up hills I really feel that is more dependent on the condition of the engine.  I still chase Geno up hills.  Nine out of ten times he is waiting for me and the others at the top.  That has not changed.  The bike as it now sits weighs 20 pounds.  The wheels are not light weight but they are sturdy and roll like they will go forever.  The wheels represent the one piece where I could lighten the bike considerably.  Scott's two carbon fiber bikes both weigh in around 15 to 16 pounds each on large frames.  He has light weight wheels.

Pictures of the Roubaix build are below.

Roubaix almost stripped with the parts on the Cannondale in the background.


The Cannondale with the Roubaix in the background.

The Fuji with parts from the Cannondale.
The one experience on the Roubaix I find significant happened on the first day.  The others had started from the CSUS Aquatic Center parking lot.  After leaving them there I skedaddled home to catch Marcia before she left for an overnight with the VOCARE team.  VOCARE (vo- car- ee) is a Christian renewal experience for 20 somethings put on by 20 somethings with support from clergy and a few other older people.  After Marcia left home I pedaled on over to Patriot to weigh my bike, 20 pounds, 3 ounces.
I had left my pump behind and noticed a few blocks away from the shop.  I returned to the shop for the pump.   I had taken a circuitous route home and during my self-talk as I rode along I said to my self: "Self, lets keep riding."  The idea really appealed but as I had already put in 40 miles and it was getting late I probably shouldn't so I didn't.

I find the previous train of thought significant in regards to the comfort of the bike.  I had not burned myself out, nor was my butt sore (I kept the Specialized Body Geometry saddle that came stock with the bike), and the bike just rolls along.  Other owners of carbon fiber bikes describe the ride as less harsh than metal bikes.  I still feel the road through the frame but maybe it really is dampening the road feedback so as not to be harsh and debilitating, i.e. the body's muscles do not have react to the feedback quite as energetically as it might on a metal bike.  I have ridden steel and aluminum but not titanium and could never determine for myself the difference in ride feel.  I am not sure I can yet.

Specialized Roubaix as she rolls with 150 miles

2 comments:

guzzi guy said...

Simply gorgeous! Congratulations!

geno said...

Great entry Dennis.
Glad you are enjoying the Roubaix.
Looking forward to the upcoming tour sans the carbons.