Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 24, Friday, August 10, 2012, Rollins, MT to Swan Lake Trading Post, MT

Day 24, Friday, August 10, 2012, Rollins, MT to Swan Lake Trading Post, MT.

This day started great! Coffee and scrambled eggs for the first breakfast. Then a small schlep of my panniers to Bill and Kathy's Vanagon. Yes, I chose not to carry my own bags from their house to Bigfork, MT. This is a no picture day in case you miss the pictures. 

Lightened by their magnanimous offer to schelp anyone's bags and Mike, too, I was rarin' to go. But first, I had to brag to Bill about the Rex and he seemed quite interested then off I flew. I stopped once to see if my Camelback bladder was leaking as I could feel moisture seeping down my back. No leakage, must be careless filling. Then I stopped again when the chain got a sort of kink thing during a shift on the front. I stopped and back pedaled the crank and the chain straightened itself out and presented no more problems.

Not carrying the panniers provided me with the opportunity to explore secondary roads out of Lakeside, MT heading south or east or both. Quiet neighborhoods and spacious views of Flathead Lake.

Geno caught up with me and suggested we regroup in Somers. We did and then headed for Bigfork, MT to meet up with Bill, Kathy, Barbara and fold Mike back into the bicycle odyssey.

Bill and Kathy had suggested an alternate route once we crossed the Flathead River. The route wound past a golf course and adjacent houses. We noticed some funny looking dogs gamboling about ahead of us. As we rode up closer they turned out to be a pair of foxes, who upon seeing us scampered off into the nearby forest. Too quick to be photographed.

We had a brunch at the Pocketstone restaurant in Bigfork. Re-energized by a biscuit with gravey, I grabbed my panniers and joined the downtown traffic to exit Bigfork. We had to ride the busy highway12 for a mile or so then we cut over on the 209. We got a nice, quiet alternative to the 209 when we reached Ferndale. Ferndale road, a right turn, became Ferndale Rd. South, took us to the 83, which was to be our highway for the next two and a half days.

Our destination was Swan Lake Trading Post, which had tent sites available. Once we had established our camp and showered we struck off for dinner. We chose The Crazy Horse over the bar and grill much closer to our camp. We had to walk about a quarter of a mile to The Crazy Horse. 

Our experience at The Crazy Horse was probably our epicurean high point to this date. We were seated outside. The tables were plastic, (I have one on my patio) covered with a table cloth and stem ware around each place setting. None of us ordered wine so the wine glasses were removed, but the water glasses were filled with water. After ordering we looked around. I could see herb gardens, tomatoes about two weeks from being ready to eat, an artistic water fountain quietly bubbling behind me and red, yellow and green kayaks hanging from a roof overhang, out of the weather. 

The plates were artfully presented each topped with a small tied sprig of dried grass stems, a small colorful, edible, flower tied together with a blade of green grass. Everyone thought their food was quite good. After eating the main course we ordered a slice of peach and huckleberry pie, which came a la mode. The pies were presented in stem glass, mine was clear with orange swirling through it, the others were served in clear glass looking a lot like a large martini glass. The pie was delicious.

An anecdote regarding the pie. When we first entered the restaurant a bar was covered with baked pies, a couple dozen, at least. When Geno expressed interest we were told they had all been promised and therefore none were available.

The first night in our tents was peaceful and restful for me.

Stats: T= 3:25, Mx= 38.3, Av= 12.9, El Gain= 1676, Mx Alt= 3196, ODO= 3804, D= 44.2.

No comments: