Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 33, Sunday, August 18, 2012, Dillon to Sheridan, MT

Day 33, Sunday, August 18, 2012, Dillon to Sheridan, MT

The morning was overcast in Dillon. Comfortable temperature, cool, high 50's or low 60's. Mike and I were the last to roll out of the Sundowner Motel. It was 9 AM.

On the way I saw three birds looking a lot like geese in body form but the coloring wasn't right and they did a low pitched trill while flying around. Herb and Geno said they were Sandhill Cranes. No pictures, though.

The road went east out of Dillon. Dillon sits on the Beaverhead River and we followed it the whole way to Twin Bridges.

Below are pictures I took when we stopped at Beaverhead Rock.


Beaverhead Rock and wet lands.

  
Pelicans

 

 
Mountains to the east of Beaverhead Rock.


 
The Ruby Range. Sheridan sits at the bottom along the Ruby River.

The road had been narrow, no shoulder that is, and rolled, but after Beaver Head Rock the road flattened and there was some shoulder. It even seemed as if the road was slightly descending. I got into a groove and was spinning my wasy to Twin Bridges, which was to be our lunch stop after 26 miles. Problem was it took less than two hours to get to Twin Bridges.

I ate lightly at Twin Bridges, broccoli cheese soup and ice tea.

After my light lunch, Frank, who didn't eat, and I took off for Sheridan and the Moriah motel 10 miles away. the road was OK except it went up enough to slow me way down. I looked down at my bike computer and I was doing 10 miles an hour. To give myself a break I took the pictures below.

 
The Ruby Mountain Range.

 
Old Baldy Mountain (9901) in front and to the right of Sunrise Peak (10,195) in the back.

 
The peak on the right is Copper Mountain (7334). I don't know if the peak to the left has a name.

Sunday in Sheridan, MT is very quiet. The primary IGA was open until 5. The bakery and cafe closes at 2, every day, and everything else was closed. Sheridan has a very small downtown with a very large residential area.



Stats: T= 2:46, Mx= 29.7, Av= 13.8, El Gain= 583, Mx Alt= 4928, ODO=4153, D= 38.5

No comments: