Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 26, Sunday, August 12, 2012, Seeley Lake to Missoula, MT

Day 26, Sunday, August 12, 2012, Seeley Lake to Missoula, MT

A restless, uncomfortable night made it easier to get up and get going, although I was the last one out of camp.

We had breakfast in Seeley Lake at a reasonable price. It was another cool morning and I was dressed in my cool weather gear, but noticed when ever we hit the shade the temperature dropped. I could see the road was headed for a canyon in which sat the Salmon Lake. I knew it would be cold, so added the Showers Pass rain jacket over everything, including my Camelback. There was a slight climb out of the Salmon Lake and I shed the jacket before the climb. The climb also marked the beginning of five miles of road work wherein the shoulder was virtually non-existent. 

Traffic was medium density and most were courteous and passed with room. There was one exception and as far as I could tell he only picked on me. I could hear this vehicle winding up like an asthmatic bear trying to get away from an angry pack of bees and losing. It was an older pickup and as he passed he began laying on the horn all the way past me. I waved vigourously and waited for him to start honking at Bob. He didn't honk. He hadn't honked at Jay behind me, either. I was riding on the inside of the solid white line, so was giving him as much room as all the other cars and trucks before him and following him. It's a mystery to me.  

We stopped at the gas station/store marking the junction with road 83 and road 200.

After refreshment we hopped on the 200 to begin our last leg into Missoula. We had to descend into the Blackfoot River basin and then climb out. The climb was a very doable gradient, I thought, and longer than the descent, probably 300 feet higher.

Once on top we began a long, long, descent to Missoula. Any ups we encountered we barely noticeable and over before you regretted it.

Geno, Mike and I were the first to arrive in Potomac which on the ACA map says only a convenience store, but it had a bar and grill. Geno took a quick look inside while Mike perused the map. When Geno emerged Mike was advocating for us to go on another 5 miles to an indicated restaurant. Bob pulled in as we were mounting our bikes. We told him another 5 miles and he kept moving. I pulled out after him about 100 yards back. 

The map was spot on, but Bob didn't turn in. I yelled at him 3 different times, but each time a car would go by me or him and drown me out. He didn't look back as I waved at him either. I turned in and noticed a series of log cabins or cabinettes on my right and a larger log cabin on the left. I rolled up to the front of the large log cabin and as I did so a female voice asked me, "Can I help you with something?" I answered, "If you serve food you have helped me and my friends, greatly." She said they did and breakfast all day. I told her I would be right back I need to signal my friends this is the place.

I rode back out to the entrance and waited. Shortly, Mike appeared and saw me. He also had the map so knew to expect this place. I rode back with him to the restaurant. He then told me Geno had rolled right on by, which caused me to pause and wonder, "whatever happened to: 'when in doubt, check it out'?"

I went back to the entrance to wait for Jay, Herb and Frank. They all saw me and turned in. We were quite pleased with the food. Herb, Mike and Jay ordered BLT's and the bacon was at least an eighth inch thick. I had a second breakfast with an addition of a pancake reminiscent of Coleman, (sigh, Amanda, oh Amanda).

Filled to the top we hit the road to continue our descent to Missoula. There was a quartering wind out of the north and tended to slow us down. If there had been no wind or a tailwind we would have flown off this mountain, as it were I had to pedal most of the way.

When I reached Bonner I elected to pull over in a shady park and wait for the others. I checked my cell phone: 'no service' still. Very mysterious. 

Jay, Mike and Herb elected to go on as Herb had heard from Geno. Herb relayed to us Geno was at a Subway in Bonner. (Hmm, how interesting, ACA indicates no services at all except for a post office. I'll bet they are in Milltown.) I waited for Frank. It was about 20 to 30 minutes later when Frank showed. He had a flat. 

We rolled on through Bonner, which wasn't very far and entered Milltown, which was about the same time we left Bonner. There was a truck stop on the edge of Milltown but no sign of a Subway. If it wasn't for sharp-eyed Mike we would have rolled right on by. Turns out the Subway was inside the truck stop. Mike had stayed behind while the others sought shelter for the night. I grabbed a gatorade and drank it all then we were off. Just as we started up the only hill between Milltown and East Missoula Mike got a call from Herb. I heard Mike yell, but kept going to the top and the shade of a tree. Mike joined us after the call to say they were waiting for us and to continue on under the freeway. Turns out they acquired a room while waiting for us to arrive at the first motel they encountered. Good rates and adequate for all our needs.

We have scheduled a rest day in Missoula. No pictures for this entry. Same reasons as the last day or two. 

Dinner was at a Vietnamese restaurant for five of our group while Bob and I went to the Flathead Brewery. I tasted a pint of their Espresso Stout, very nice.

Bob had heard about an ice cream place and new the way. The other five had vacated the Vietnamese restaurant before we were through. We crossed the Clark River and noticed a large crowd below gathering for some event. We did not deter from our destination. We ordered our ice cream and as I stepped away, Mike, Herb, Frank and Geno pulled up to get their ice cream. The Big Dipper Ice Cream store is very popular.  I couldn't help but notice the line was always 8 or 9 people deep.

Jay had stayed behind at the gathering along the Clark River to listen to the local symphony play popular movie themes. After ice cream, Mike, Herb, and Geno went to listen. 

Mike arrived back around 9:30 and gave the concert high marks for being very enjoyable.

Stats: T= 4:03, Mx= 27.6, Av= 13.2, El Gain= 861, Mx Alt= 3959, ODO= 3914, D= 53.8

No comments: