Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 12, Saturday, July 28, 2012, Fernie to Coleman

Day 12, Saturday, July 28, 2012, Fernie to Coleman

The hostel provided the batter and you could cook your own pancakes for breakfast. I was the last one up and therefore the last to breakfast. I was attempting to get more shut eye, but with everyone else in the room stirring around it was difficult to fall back asleep.

Some of the other folks began to take an interest in the big screen TV. Why? The Olympic road race was being broadcast. I went in to watch. A little later Herb comes in and says 'let's go, guys.' I wondered what the rush was. It turned out they all wanted to go watch the start of the mountain bike race time trial. I opted to sit, drink my second cup of coffee swill, sweetened, of course, and watch the road race. I got to see the crash taking out Cancellera and others, then Vinokurov's move and tactics to set up his gold medal win. It seemed a nice way to cap an illustrious career.

I left the hostel and hit the road after the road race ended. I thought the others might be ahead of me or they could still be behind. I texted Herb to let him know. 

The issue for me was whether my butt would be OK or I would be riding in discomfort for approximately 37-39 miles. Our first stop was Sparwood, about 17-19 miles down the road. Still riding the 3, so there was lots of traffic. Bob called me when they were leaving Fernie wondering where I was. We agreed to meet in Sparwood. 

I pulled into Sparwood taking the first exit to a frontage road looking for a restaurant. What I saw were lots of industrial stores. Primarily dealing in hydraulics and related items. Approximately a mile along this frontage road of very similar businesses. 

No eateries until the road turned back to the 3 when I spotted a restaurant. I pulled in circling the parking lot when I saw a young lady walking around as if she were waiting. I asked if she was waiting to go in. She was, but she was starting her first day of work. She has just moved to Sparwood from a small town just over the border from Colville, Washington.   She didn't know anyone here and as stated had just been hired to work at this restaurant. Her boss showed up to begin training. I waited. Geno showed up. The boss came out to explain on Saturdays the restaurant does not open until noon instead of 11. She sent us off to A&W.

Outside the A&W was the picture below.


The boys gather in front of the 'World's Largest Truck."



Our next stop was Coleman but on the way I encountered these pictures below which in turn set off the song in my head.


Daddy won't you take me
back to Mulenberg County?
Down by the Green River
Where Paradise lay.

  



I'm sorry my son 
but you're too late in askin.'
Mr. Peabody's coal train
Done hauled it away.

 



We summited at Crows Nest Pass. My altimeter was within 7 feet of agreeing with the maps elevation of the pass.

From the pass we were treated to a strong tailwind and a fast descent to Coleman.

I elected to take the first exit into old Coleman. I asked a couple people where I might find a restaurant and the second person was able to give me specific directions to Chris' restaurant. On the way there I came to an intersection giving me a good view of the main highway.  Just as I arrived at the intersection Bob whizzed by. I yelled, but I don't think he heard me (later confirmed by Bob he did not). Herb rolled by a minute or so later and he saw me waving. Then Jay, followed by Mike, then Geno, then Frank. Shortly thereafter Bob returned to the group. They were all able to quickly find their way down to me. Then we began the search. Geno went one way, Mike and I went another. Herb and the rest stopped at a hotel to check on lodging. Mike and I found Chris.' I went in to secure a table for 7. Mike rounded up the others only a block away at the hotel.   

We elected to have a snack, banana cream pie for several of us, and I went for chocolate cream pie and a chocolate milkshake. No regrets and the dinner menu was affordable and plenty to choose from.  We told them we would be back for dinner.

Herb had discovered the hotel was set up like a hostel and the rooms were cheap. We opted to stay there for the night. Wifi is spotty this evening for an unapparent reason so I will not be able to post my blogs this eve.

Dinner has come and gone. We are stuffed and looking forward to a good night's rest and breakfast at Chris'.

Did I mention we had a very cute, attractive, young lady, named Amanda for our waitress? Not only was she easy on the eyes, but she was a very competent waitress. She promised she would be working tomorrow morning at 8 AM. Not her normal shift, but her boss, Chris, is laid up after a heart attack/stroke.


Stats: D= 40.7, T= 3:30, Max= 37.7, Av= 11.6, El Gain= 1721, Max Alt= 4466, ODO= 3508, 


No comments: