Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 13, July 29, 2012, Coleman, AB to Pincher Creek, AB

Day 13, July 29, 2012, Coleman, AB to Pincher Creek, AB

I tried to sleep in this morning having fallen asleep around 2 AM. The bar just below us had some people playing with the instruments. They had the electronic drum set and bass turned up LOUD. It started around 11. We were able to watch the Olympics until 11:30. Once we turned the TV off the bass was pretty dominant. It vibrated my bed pretty good. Somehow I was able to fall asleep, because I awoke when my text message signal was going off. My son, Jaxom, was out at Mehama and wanted to know where some stuff was. I texted back with an answer, but intuited he would probably text me back, so lay there waiting. I think I dozed off again, because I heard it go off and thought I could just leave it then remembered it would go off again and people may wake up. I had forgotten both Frank and Mike had ear plugs due to the ongoing loud music from below. Now I was awake and dinner wanted to come back up so I grabbed the iPad and played solitaire until I thought the stomach was settled. I fell asleep quickly but Mike was up early as is his want. Frank followed shortly and the rustling around was enough to keep me from passing out, although I badly wanted to. Mike tried to get up and going, but I reminded him nothing could happen until 8 AM. The person who could unlock the bikes wouldn't arrive until 8 and Chris' Restaurant would not open until 8. After Mike and Frank had trundled off with their panniers and Frank returned for the room key to see if one of the keys would open the door to the bikes, I made myself get up.

By the time I arrived down stairs with my panniers, Frank was just loading his bike. The person with the correct key had arrived and unlocked the door. When I went down to retrieve the Rex all our bikes were still down there. Frank and I parked our loaded bikes in front of Chris.' We were chastised by Amanda for being the sleepy heads, although Frank really didn't fit the description, he was just more determined to get his bike out of storage.

Both of us, Frank and I, went for 2 pancakes with eggs or ham. We were warned vociferously about the size of the pancakes and urged to get just 1. Not just Amanda warned us, but Mike and Geno too who had learned about the size of the pancakes last night at dinner by a couple locals. We stuck to our guns and ended up being able to only eat one apiece.


Where we stayed in Coleman.


We left Coleman in two groups. One group went to check out a coffee house. The other group rode out on the local scenic route to connect with the 3 and head out for Pincher Creek. 

 
Looking back at Coleman and the mountains towering over the Crowsnest.

 
From the same view point above.

 
Each picture has moved of the Rockies has moved south. They are probably the Flathead Range.

First thing I noticed was how tightly grouped the several small communities were. We no sooner left Coleman than we were riding by Blairmore, then Frank, quickly followed by Bellevue. All 4 of these towns are part of the Crowsnest Pass.

Frank has some interesting history. Named for the Montana man who financed the local Gebo coal mine. Shortly after the mine opened they experienced a massive land slide. The local name for the mountain is Turtle Mountain, "The Mountain Who Moves Slowly." The Indians would not camp near it.

 
Turtle Mountain with the upper slide area on the left.

 
Close-up of the upper portion of the Frank Slide.

I was hoping this could be read.



 


Looking south at the mass, but this doesn't show effectively how big the slide was.

 
Looking back at the slide mass.

Not very far down the road was our turn off the 3 onto the 507 or Lee's Lake Road. A much more lightly traveled road. It rolled up and down and the picture below was after one of the roll ups displaying a vista of the high Alberta plains.


Day 12, July 29, 2012, Coleman, AB to Pincher Creek, AB 
The Rockies in the background.

Our road made a turn a sharp turn toward the east at a junction with a road to a place called Beaver Mines. Several campgrounds and lakes were on our road and the road to Beaver Mines. Sunday traffic home intensified and the road was not so lightly traveled anymore. 

Geno needed an A&W root beer float fix, so lunch was at the A&W located on the edge of Pincher Creek. We located a motel from the A&W. Bob and I went to the WalMart close by. The others headed into town. We are now in our rooms at the Parkway Motel in Pincher Creek. I am, of course, writing this. Mike has just finished napping. The Olympics are on the telly.




Stats: D= 34.2, T= 2:56, Av= 11.6, El Gain= 1282, ODO= 3542

1 comment:

guzzi guy said...

I've been through that Crows nest area on motorcycle some years ago. What triggered my memory was the Frank Slide stuff.
Looks like you're having a good trip and I am enjoying your write-ups.