Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 1, Tuesday, 07/17/2012, Jasper to Athabasca Falls Hostel, AB

Tuesday, July 17, 2012, Athabasca Falls Hostel, Alberta, Canada

Today was our real first day of our long anticipated and planned for bicycling tour. While the others went into town to eat breakfast and do laundry, I stayed behind at Jasper Hostel to wait for my hang dry clothes to dry. I thought I would inquire if there was a metal cutting hack saw available to trim 3 centimeters off my double kickstand. Currently  it was causing the bike to sit to high and therefore be unstable. It had fallen twice now when I set it on the kickstand. The last time was yesterday after spotting the two bull Elk. The damage was to my right brake lever; it moved slightly inward, and to my front fender as it caused the fender to loosen at the attachment to the bike eyelets, which I fixed at the scenic overlook yesterday. I finished my second cup of coffee, ate a couple granola bars and a banana for breakfast while waiting for the clothes or the maintenance man. 

The mosquito population exploded in the past two weeks after a solid month of June rain and into July. I missed the maintenance man the first time as he had dashed off to town to get bug spray. I wondered how successful he might be as yesterday when Herb was searching he was told the whole town was sold out. The second time I inquired I missed him because the 'kid' at the front desk didn't know where I was in spite  of the fact I informed him I was holding out in the downstairs lounge area, twice. By then I had 3 out of 4 panniers loaded and was just waiting for the bike clothes to dry completely. I dressed in the day's bike clothes, adding my arm warmers, leg warmers and vest to discourage the mosquitoes. My clothes on the line were still slightly damp, but I decided to put them in their own plastic bag hoping they wouldn't mildew. I loaded my bags onto the Rex and took it off the kickstand then went looking around the outside with the possibility I might find the maintenance man. I knew he was wearing a white t-shirt and when I saw a man in a white t-shirt I hailed him, asking if he was "the maintenance guy?" He affirmed my guess. He knew I was looking for a hack saw but asked if the kickstand was round or square. I had to stop for a second, but then told him it was partially round with a flat side. He informed me he was asking as he had a pipe cutter for the round style. He retrieved his hack saw. I unloaded the bike completely and turned it upside down. The kickstand was extended in a V shape. I counted up to the third line which represented 3 centimeters from the bottom of the kickstand. While I was sawing away I asked him about his hunt for bug spray. He said he went to town and found a huge, brand new display at the store. He realized he needed cash so dashed back home and back to the store. He got his bug spray but the display was now half the size compared to his first sighting. He admired my disk brakes. He actually called it a 'cross bike' with disk brakes. He helped stabilize the bike as we talked and within 5 minutes I was loading my bike. He offered to drive me to the Athabasca Falls Hostel, but I declined. Shortly after thanking him a third time, Bob called to say they had finished with their laundry and were getting ready to leave Jasper. I let Bob know I was currently loading my bike and we agreed to meet at the bottom of the hill. The loaded bike on the kickstand was much more stable. I felt a sense of accomplishment. Off I rode on a loaded bike down a screaming descent. Then I stopped. I was at the junction where we agreed to meet.

After a few minutes wait I spied them coming. While waiting I removed the vest, arm warmers, and knee warmers. It was a warm day. 

Mike and I were riding at the front when we stopped at the entrance to Jasper National Park. The lady said if we were all riding together while in the park we could qualify under the family charge. This after Mike had inquired if bicyclists got in free. to complicate things, Geno and the rest of the group rode up to the other kiosk causing the attendant there to inquire to her colleague "what's up?" Further complicating things were a couple also on loaded bikes with the male pulling a trailer. We told our attendant they are not part of our group, but they were at the other kiosk, too. All was straightened out as we were not chased down by the RMCP. 

Shortly after our right turn onto old highway 93 called 93A came up. Frank and Jay were out front and I became concerned they were not going to turn. Frank was ahead by a bike length or two and didn't seem inclined to be turning. 

"Right turn. Frank, Right Turn. He kept on riding by the turn. "FRANK, RIGHT TURN." He heard and flipped a u-turn to come back. I made the turn with Jay and the rest behind. Almost immediately we began a long, steep climb, granny gear time. At the top we rode a long a ridge before beginning a long, easy, descent down to follow the Athabasca River. Mike caught up with me and we rode together until I saw an informational sign about the fur trade crossing the river there as it met the Whirlpool River which they followed up to the top of the mountain range where the trappers would meet fur traders from the east and exchange goods. From there I rode to the bridge crossing the Whirlpool River.

I was hungry and decided to take a break at the Whirlpool River bridge. I was eating a granola bar when the other touring couple caught up. the husband rode up to me and said "Hello." He then flipped a u-ball and went back to his wife who had pulled over to take a picture and apparently have her husband take a picture of her lifting her bike jersey, but he indicated I was standing at the other end of the bridge, so before I could have my eyeballs bug out I turned away and so did she. I never did see if there was an infant in the trailer or not.  They were not hauling any luggage there. He also had a blue, wide/big, bivey sack strapped across the top of his rear panniers. The wife also was fully loaded, front and rear panniers. I state this as I have seen many a couple where the wife only carried rear panniers and the husband did all the heavy lifting.   



Whirlpool River

Same as the above picture but mountains zoomed in.

Leaving the Whirlpool River entailed another 2 mile climb and then a nice descent to the Athabasca Falls. Fascinating even if they are not big like Niagara or long like Multnomah.

 

 

 

This shot shows how high the river is as water is flowing into the viewing area.

 
Jay descending steps in an old water course. Unknown kids in foreground.

 
Jay waving.
Looking back up toward the falls and the water course the river has cut between the rocks with the help of the Athabasca Moraine.

 
A pot hole long ago abandoned by the river.

 
The  abandoned water course looking up. Picture taken about where Jay was standing in pictures above.

 
On our way to the hostel. Peaks, peaks, peaks, everywhere you look.


Oh my God! Peaks, peaks, peaks, everywhere you look.

The next stop was the Athabasca Falls Hostel. We had read, been told, expected, there to be absolutely no water available, meaning no drinking water and no showers. I didn't know if there would be electricity. I was expecting I may have to sleep in my sleeping bag. In other words we were expecting primitive or rustic. What we got was a very pleasant surprise. There was water, there was an outdoor solar shower, and bed linens were supplied. The hostel was wired for electricity.  We have ceiling fans in our cabin which is a co-ed dorm so I will not be informing any females who may be sleeping there they are in the wrong dorm. All in all it is way nicer than the Jasper Hostel. By the way I was the first of our group to partake of the solar shower, which required going to the pump to get water and boiling water on the gas stove to speed the process along. 

It was fun taking the shower. It is enclosed by a tarp, about 5 feet by 5 feet square with  a wood floor covered by rubber mats and open to the sky. You hoist the large, 5 gallon, black bladder, up with a pulley system and control the flow at the valve of the bladder. A turn of the valve to wet myself, then off and soap up the face and head, followed by a rinse, valve off and soap the rest of the body, followed by one long rinse. When I was all through there was still water left in the bladder. I was so proud of myself. A full shower and water conservation to boot.  

 

 





No comments: