Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 6, Sunday, July 22, 2012, Banff, AB, Rest Day

Sunday, July 22, 2012, Banff, AB, Rest Day

Today was a no bike day. We got up after a good night's rest and walked to a local hotel's restaurant  for breakfast. Frank was actually the first up and he dressed (after a 35 second cold shower due to hot water taking its time to rise to the third floor) and hung out in the lounge. I was second to arise and joined him to have some coffee and catch up with the world through my iPad. Then, we all walked to breakfast.

Geno, Mike, Jay, Herb, and Frank all wanted to go see Banff Springs Hotel and they headed off to do so.  Bob and I opted for lattes at Starbucks and lounging in soft chairs. After our lattes we headed back to the hostel. We got to our room. The door was locked and the curtains were closed. I pulled the curtains open and started rattling around when Bob pointed out to me Herb was in bed napping. I surreptitiously closed the curtains and went out to the patio. I read on the iPad for a while and soon found myself nodding off. I went back to the room and quietly climbed into my top bunk and took a nap. Just after awaking and deciding to work some more on the iPad Bob came in to say he was going to take a nap. Herb slept on.

I was playing solitaire on the iPad when Herb came out dressed and ready to eat some lunch. We met Geno, Frank and Jay returning from their adventures. Jay said we should have dinner at the Japanese noodle cafe. Herb wasn't sure the 7 of us would fit as it was a hole in the wall establishment. It didn't deter Jay's enthusiasm for the place. Herb and I walked on and a block or two later Herb asks me if I would like to try the Japanese noodle cafe for lunch. We did. The food and presentation was very traditional according to Herb. Herb, Geno and Jay did a 4 week bicycle tour of Japan a couple years back. 

After lunch Herb and I split. I wanted to see the Banff Springs Hotel as Marcia and I and the boys were there over 30 years ago. Below are pictures from today's walk through memory lane.


The main entrance is off to the left barely visible. I was standing in front of the Conference Center where Marcia, Dameon(all of a year and a half), Jaxom(an infant) stayed.

 
To the right of the above picture.


The Conference Center entrance.

 
To the left of the picture above.

I took some pictures of a few peaks around Banff, below.


From the back parking lot of Banff Springs Hotel.


Another peak shot from donwtown Banff.


Same peak as the one taken from the Hotel parking lot but this one shot from downtown Banff.

Below is a picture of us at dinner. Wanna guess where we had dinner?



Below this sentence are pictures of us arriving in Jasper taken by a nice lady who volunteered most vociferously. (These are some of the pictures I had forgotten were on the iPhone.)

 
Our bikes in their boxes being unloaded from the train.


Hey! Those are my red panniers.

 
Bikes together, loaded and ready to go. Left to right: Bob, Dennis, Mike, Geno, and Frank.




Figured out where we are yet?

No comments: