Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11, 2012, In Vancouver, BC

July 11, 2012, In Vancouver, BC

So we arrived pretty much on time in spite of a few minor delays. One delay I blogged about earlier just after leaving Portland. We had to wait for a barge on the Columbia, remember, and I inserted a fuzzy picture of the barge?

Getting off the train in Vancouver was a bit of a wait as they had to process everyone through customs and then I had to go through immigration. 40 years ago or so I was turned back at the BC border. The official who turned us back never said specifically why as I recall. Bill was a pretty shady looking character back in the day. I'm sure it was something to do with him. My past almost caught up with me, but the officer let me through after disappearing for a minute or two. 

Next I had to figure out how to get to the hostel. The iPad decided not to connect to the server at the time I needed to use the map program. Then a nice gentleman dressed in official looking clothes told me how to get to Granville Street via the Sky Train and said it was a 4 block walk to the Hostel. Mind you I was pushing a loaded bike, panniers, tent, tarp, and handlebar bag. Granville Street at midnight on a Tuesday in Vancouver is a jumping place. The helpful lady at the hostel desk said it may be due to the nice weather. 

I had originally reserved a bed in a 4 bed room. Arriving after midnight meant I was trying to be quiet while 2 roommates were sleeping. Making a top bunk in the dark is not fun and on top of that there was no pillow. I had already made one return trip to the lobby and now made a second in pursuit of a pillow. The "helpful lady" remembered there was a room for which the potential occupants had cancelled their reservation and she could "borrow" a pillow from that room. She opened the door and it was a single bed, a queen size, and had its own bathroom. I quickly asked if that room was available for me to rent. She said yes, but it was their most expensive room. The cost did not phase me and when I returned to the lobby with the rest of my stuff from the original room I inquired if I could have it for 2 nights and it was available.

Since the above transaction it has occurred to me I may need to rent this room for a third night if it is available. Mike, Geno, Bob and Frank have probably just boarded the Starlighter in Sacramento. They get to Seattle tonight around 8 to 9:30 depending on no more delays. They were supposed to board at midnight. Anyway they sleep over in Seattle then catch the Cascade to Vancouver Thursday morning then stay over Thursday night and we will all catch the Canadian train on Friday headed for Jasper, Alberta our departure point for our bike trip. Herb and Jay are flying to Jasper.

It is 2 AM and I am still not sleepy.  This morning I awoke around the break of dawn and could not fall back to sleep. I laid there tossing and turning, went to the bathroom, and the next thing I recall was being awakened by my cell phone. Mike Gies was calling to chat about my trip and the bike. Then he had to terminate the call as it was 10 and he had a meeting to go to. I said, "what time is it!" And he repeated the time to me. My God, Bill will be returning from his hair cut appointment in 45 minutes and I still have to pack! We got out of Rickreall a little later than projected but it didn't impact the rest of the day. We were able to get me to REI for some last minute shopping, the Apple store for the same reason and have lunch at PF Chang's and get a mocha at Peet's all before getting to the train station. 

All in all it has been an eventful, wonderful day.

1 comment:

guzzi guy said...

Dennis, We were just up in Vancouver last week and really enjoyed the Aquarium in Stanley Park as well as an excursion to Granville Island and a taste of the local brewery's beer.