Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 4, Friday, July 20, 2012, Saskatchewan Crossing to Lake Louise

Friday, July 20, 2012, Saskatchewan Crossing to Lake Louise

The Mountaineer Lodge has Wifi. The first place we have stayed to have wifi, but I believe it is DSL and too many users has thinned the signal. I was on, but took a shower and can't get back on. 

We got up early to get an early start on the long climb(s) to Lake Louise. We were looking at the 6785 feet for Bow summit but found out fairly early there is a climb topping out at 6000 feet within 10 miles of our start. It was not particularly steep but it went up steady enough. When I looked down at my altimeter I was surprised to see our elevation. A big disappointment was the descent as I knew we would have to gain back what ever we lost. We dropped down to 5000 feet and very slowly gained back the 1000 plus the extra over 700 feet needed before the 21 mile descent to Lake Louise.

There are no pictures today. Last night I became the third in our group of 7 to come down with the dreaded bug going around. I bought some Dayquil and Nyquil to combat the symptoms. Problem is last night my body decided to go through altitude adjustment. My experience with this phenomena first occurred during the Bicycle Tour of Colorado several years ago. When the body drifts into deep sleep and breathing grows more shallow the brain notices an oxygen deficit and sends a message to the lungs to take a deep breath. Taking a deep breath then causes me to wake up. Last night when the deep breath woke me up I blamed it on the Nyquil. Today thinking back on the experience I remembered my experience in Colorado. Last night was a night of many deep breaths. Needless to say I am very tired tonight as I write this. The same would apply to my desire to take pictures. I just wanted to finish, eat, and go to sleep. 

Currently I am watching the Tour and writing and will call it a day when the Tour show ends.

Days stats: D= 50.7 miles, T= 4:52, Mx=35.8, Av= 10.4, El Gain= 2739, Mx Alt= 6536(my bike computer is off by 149 feet), ODO= 3199.

No comments: