Monday, July 9, 2012

My new Steve Rex: thoughts and rambles

Thoughts about my Steve Rex bicycle

It fits me! It fits me! It fits me! 
How do I know?
Pure subjective heaven.
I am not aware of the settling in faze. The shifting of the body to find the sweet spot.  The spot where there are no distracting sensations. Then all energy is directed into forward motion.
When I get on the Rex all energy is directed into forward motion. 
When I write "Pure subjective heaven," I mean I am speaking only about my subjective experience. 

Now for a little fantasy drama.
Setting The Scene: June 29, 2012 
A customer strolls into a bike shop. He is looking for help. His attention is aimed at finding some assistance.

Employee (from below the Customer's sight line and behind a counter): 
How can I help you?

Customer: 
Dude, I am here to pick up my bike.    

Employee (his eyes roll to the Customer's left; then he points, and as he points says): 
Right there. 

The Employee has been expecting the customer as the bicycle had been promised to be ready at 3 PM and it was 3:30 now.    

Customer(slowly turning his head and body in the direction the Employee is pointing): 
Dude, my bike is red. Yeah, just like that one. Oh, yeah, and I ordered alluminmm fenders, too. I like the full wrap around fenders and the nice shine the aluminmum has on that bike. Dude, is that a Schmidt hub? Dude, I ordered one too. Velocity rims, yeah, very nice. Wow, what size are those tires ? Oh wow, they're only 32mm, but they look larger. Panaracer Paselas. I've read about them. Seems to me it was a positive review. Where did I read about Paselas? Oh man, what is the bright flashing thing there in the top center. It's the seat post,wow, very nice, and upon the seat post is attached a Brooks saddle. Yeah this can't be my bike. My butt couldn't take the break-in period, especially considering I am anticipating a 7 week tour starting in 2 weeks. 

Steve(has entered during the above): 
Hi Dennis.

Dennis: 
Dude, where is my bike?

Steve:
Right there in front of you.

Dennis:
But this bike is way cool, man. And it's mine? All mine? I have a different saddle in the car.

And so on and on goes the fantasy.

In reality much of the facts above as related by our slightly confused "Customer" are correct. The flashy seat post is a Velo Orange as are the fenders. The seat post is not only very nice to look at it is very practical as far as swapping out seats is concerned. The Schmidt hub (AKA: SON) electrically connects through the fork drop outs. Thus no wire to disconnect every time the front wheel must come off. The wiring runs internally up the right fork leg to connect to a head light and "The Plug." "The Plug" has a USB port so I can charge my iPhone and iPad while riding. The handle bars are by Tom Ritchey and have a wide platform for the hands when riding in a more upright position. The brake levers are TekTro connecting to, made for road bikes, Avid disk brakes. The rear hub is a White Industries product. Steve recommended it for it's  low maintenence, low breakage, issues. He has never seen one come back in. My choice, Phil Wood, seems to have reliability issues. The crank, Sugino, is connected to a Phil Wood bottom bracket, which do not break. The chain rings are 26, 38, 48 connecting to a 36-12 cog set. A 26 x 36 low gear should get me up most mountain roads when touring with a loaded bike.
In the picture above and below. My Ortlieb handlebar bag is attatched and my red rear trunk rack is attached to my Tubus rear rack. The front fender is off due to its full wrap around ability made it too low at the rear of the fender. Eventually I solved the problem by moving the top fender mount forward, under the light instead of behind the fork crown, which caused the fender to rotate forward and up.  
   
And the end with a nice picture of the "Rex."

 
   

No comments: