Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 3, Thursday, July 19, 2012, Glacier View Inn at the Ice Fields to Saskatchewan Crossing

Thursday, July 19, 2012, Glacier View Inn at the Ice Fields to Saskatchewan Crossing

I thought we had a short, tough climb to the Sunwapta summit but it turned out to be rather easy and was over before I realized. The only sign I saw was a sign saying don't feed the animals. No sign stating we were entering Banff National Park either. Mike said later he saw a small plaque before the summit. Then began a long descent to Saskatchewan Crossing. Most of my attention the first five miles or so of descent was on the road so I didn't see much, other than a bunch of mountains with snow and ice on them. You seen one mountain you seen'em all, yah know.

The morning, at approximately 6400 feet, was rather cool, especially standing outside in the wind. I could have been dressed warmer, but I figured I was going to get warm in a short time with the anticipated climb. A fast descent means I reached warmer air soon enough and was very comfortable until I got closer to Saskatchewan Crossing. It was much warmer there. We lost around 2000 feet from the summit.

I recall telling Geno the inn manager said she couldn't guarantee the rooms would be ready until 4 PM. She cautiously stated if we arrived early they might be ready, but probably not. I forgot what I had said to Geno and arrived at 12:30. (I think we left around 10)

When I arrived the rooms were ready. I shot off from Glacier View Inn in my attempt to get warmer and arrived almost an hour ahead of the other four. Four because Bob and Herb did get a bus to Banff and their bikes went with them, which was a concern.


Peaks on the way to Glacier View Inn.

Peaks on the way to Glacier View Inn.

Peaks on the way to Glacier View Inn.

Peaks on the way to Glacier View Inn.
A glacier in a cirque.

On the climb to Glacier View Inn. A glacier between two peaks.

 
Close up of preceding picture.

Peaks on the way to Glacier View Inn.

The next morning. The sign I couldn't see through my fatigue on the side of the building.

Snow cap on peaks across the way from Glacier View Inn.

 
The Athabasca Glacier. In spite of its retreat in size it is still a massive piece of living ice.

This is the Snow Dome. Vaguely seen in the picture above at the top of the Athabasca Glacier. The Snow Dome is significant as it feeds 3 distinct rivers who empty into different water sheds: the Pacific, the Atlantic, and the Arctic.

 
A corner of the Athabasca Glacier is seen in the middle right side of the picture.

The guy who took this picture cut Geno out. Five are headed for Saskatchewan Crossing.


Weeping Wall. Why do you suppose it's called Weeping Wall? :>)

A sign at the Weeping Wall scenic stop. At first I thought they were speaking of practice target warheads but now I understand they are unexploded projectiles for avalanche control.


The Needle. To the right of the peak above.



T= 1:57, Mx= 37, Av= 14.4, El Gain= 662, ODO= 3148, D= 28.04

No comments: